Sushan Singh Rajput  |  Photo Credit: Instagram
- SSR death probe: Eight former IPS officers move Bombay HC against “unfair, malicious and false media campaign” against Mumbai Police
- We urge and expect the media to exercise restraint in reporting of the investigation with respect to SSR death case, says Bombay HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday urged the media to exercise restraint in reporting of the investigation into the death of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput who was found dead at his residence in Mumbai’s Bandra on June 14.
While hearing petitions for action against media trial in Sushant Singh Rajput death case, the Bombay High Court passed an order stating that “We urge and expect the media to exercise restraint in reporting of the investigation with respect to the death, which would not hamper investigation in any manner.”
The plea was filed by eight former IPS officers against the “unfair, malicious and false media campaign” against Mumbai Police in the late actor’s death case. The “media trial” should be stopped, the plea urged the court.
The petitioners are former Maharashtra DGPs M N Singh, P S Pasricha, D K Sivanandan, Sanjiv Dayal, Satish Mathur and K Subramanyam, former Mumbai police commissioner D N Jadhav, and former additional DGP K P Raghuvanshi.
The petition, filed on August 31, said a section of news channels have been trying to influence the course of the investigation which is being carried out by the CBI, ED and NCB, and airing false propaganda against Mumbai Police.
It sought a direction to media organisations to refrain from publishing or circulating false, derogatory and scandalous comments which may jeopardize the reputation of the city police.
“The media organisations should be directed to ensure that reporting of ongoing investigations is done in a balanced, ethical, unbiased and objective manner and to not turn such reporting into a media trial and a vilification campaign against the police and others,” the petition said.
The probe so far
After Sushant’s death, Mumbai police registered an Accidental Death Report and started investigating the case, however, later actor’s father had on July 25 lodged a complaint with Patna Police alleging that the actor’s girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty and her family members had abetted his suicide.
The case was later transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). While the Enforcement Directorate (ED)is probing allegations of money laundering against Rhea and her family, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) is looking into claims that she used to consume drugs and also supply them to Rajput.