!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
108 new cases push Arunachal’s COVID-19 tally to 14,580
Gold Smuggling Case: M Sivasankar, former Principal Secretary to Kerala CM, sent to 7-day Enforcement Directorate custody by a court in Kochi
Argentina’s COVID-19 death toll tops 30,000
Microsoft detects cyberattacks from Iran-linked actor engaged in intelligence collection
Microsoft Corp said on Wednesday that it detected and attempted to stop a series of cyberattacks from Phosphorus, which the company described as an ‘Iranian actor’, with the attacks aimed to target over 100 high-profile individuals.
Rain lashes parts of Chennai
Tamil Nadu: Rain lashes parts of Chennai; water enters residential areas. India Meteorological Department (IMD) p… https://t.co/Yk9A0CTMc9
— ANI (@ANI) 1603948892000
Samsung sells 88 million handsets in Q3, India a shining spot
Registering stronger sales of mass-market models in key regions including India, Samsung sold 88 million handsets in the third quarter this year, with more than 90 percent of them being smartphones and nine million tablets, the company informed on Thursday, reported IANS.
Raj Thackeray arrives at Raj Bhavan to meet Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Mumbai: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) Chief Raj Thackeray arrives at Raj Bhavan to meet Governor Bhagat Singh Ko… https://t.co/Bb32DGyEaS
— ANI (@ANI) 1603948390000
India’s gold demand could recover during Q4 on festival shopping: WGC
- Demand for the precious metal usually spikes towards the end of the year in India, as buying gold for weddings and major festivals such as Diwali and Dussehra is considered auspicious.
- Indians celebrated Dussehra earlier this month and jewellers reported improvement in footfalls and sales.
NIA continues raids on NGOs in Srinagar and Delhi
Continuing with its searches in connection with a case pertaining to “raising funds in India and abroad in the name of charitable activities” by “certain so-called NGOs and Trusts”, and using them for “carrying out secessionist and separatist activities in Jammu and Kashmir”, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday raided nine locations of six NGOs and trusts in Srinagar and Delhi.
15 new cases push COVID-19 tally of Andamans to 4,289
Delhi: West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankar to meet Home Minister Amit Shah at 11.30 am today
Rupee falls to lowest level against dollar since Aug 27
Rupee depreciates 18 paise, slips below 74/USD level in early trade.
Trump admin proposes to scrap computerised lottery system to select H-1B visas
The Trump administration has proposed to scrap the computerised lottery system to grant H-1B work visas to foreign technology professionals and replace it with a wage-level-based selection process, a move that is expected to counter the downward pressure on the wages of US workers.
Sensex plunges over 350 pts in early trade; Nifty drops below 11,650
The 30-share BSE index was trading 365.19 points or 0.91 per cent lower at 39,557.27. Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty tumbled 106.90 points or 0.91 per cent to 11,622.70.
U.S. pitches cheaper solar tech to India amid high dependence on China
- The United States wants India to explore manufacturing a cheaper alternative to silicon solar cells, U.S. Energy Secretary Dan Brouillette said on Wednesday, amid high dependence on Chinese technology.
Samsung reports record sales amid questions about future
- The company said Thursday its operating profit for the last quarter reached a two-year high of 12.35 trillion won ($10.89 billion), a 59% jump from a year earlier, thanks to strong sales of computer memory chips, smartphones and appliances.
- Revenue rose 8% to 66.96 trillion won ($59 billion), an all-time quarterly high.
- “Even as the COVID-19 pandemic continues around the world, the reopening of key economies led to a significant increase in consumer demand,” Samsung said in a statement.
Telangana recorded 1,504 COVID-19 new cases, 1,436 recoveries and 5 deaths on 28th October
India reports 49,881 new cases, 517 deaths
- India’s case count has reached 80,40,203, with death toll at 1,20,527.
- Total active cases are 6,03,687 after a decrease of 7116 in last 24 hrs
- Total cured cases are 73,15,989 with 56,480 new discharges in last 24 hrs.
Delhi CM to launch ‘Green Delhi’ app to check air pollution
- Amid deteriorating air quality in the national capital, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Thursday will launch “Green Delhi” mobile application, which will enable people to register complaints about violation of anti-pollution norms.
- The mobile app is a part of the Delhi government’s “Yudh Pradushan Ke Virudh” campaign, announced by Kejriwal on October 6, to reduce pollution levels in the national capital.
- Through this photo-based complaint lodging app, people will be able to inform the government about the burning of waste, and industrial and dust pollution.
Hong Kong teen activist Tony Chung charged in court with ‘secession’
Hurricane Zeta slams into Louisiana coast
- Hurricane Zeta battered the southern United States as a Category 2 storm Wednesday, bringing dangerous winds and surging ocean waves as New Orleans residents scrambled to prepare against potential flooding.
- Zeta weakened as it moved into southeastern Mississippi, according to the National Hurricane Center (NHC), but was still packing sustained winds of 90 miles (145 kilometers) per hour on Wednesday night.
- The Miami-based center also warned that “life-threatening surge and strong winds” would occur over the southeastern parts of Mississippi and Louisiana, which has been repeatedly hit during a busy hurricane season.
Biden will be a better foreign policy president: International scholars survey
- Foreign governments will be more willing to cooperate with the United States if Democratic Presidential nominee Joe Biden wins the 2020 election than if President Donald Trump is reelected, a survey of international relations scholars found.
- Results from a Teaching, Research, & International Policy (TRIP) survey of 708 international relations scholars at US universities found that international relations scholars are far more likely to support Biden than Trump for president and overwhelmingly agree that Biden will be better able to achieve his foreign policy agenda.
Solid Big Tech earnings expected despite politics
- A powerhouse line-up of earnings releases on Thursday is expected to show that giants of Big Tech are on firm financial footing despite turbulent politics and the coronavirus pandemic.
- Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Twitter and Google-parent Alphabet are all slated to disclose how their businesses faired in the third quarter of this year.
- “The reality is that the strong are getting stronger with FAANG names such as Amazon, Facebook, Google, and Apple beneficiaries of the current environment,” Wedbush analyst Dan Ives said in a note to investors.
Press, social media blocking serious charges against Biden: Trump
- US President Donald Trump has accused both the mainstream and social media companies of blocking serious charges of corruption against his rival and Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, saying the situation was causing America to experience suppression of the press.
- Trump said the media was not willing to write against Biden and his family.
- “Here is a guy who gets caught and the media doesn’t want to write about it. You know what they call it not freedom of the press but suppression of the press,” Trump said during his election allies on Wednesday in the battle ground State of Arizona.
An earthquake of magnitude 4.1 occurred in Afghanistan at 1:19 am today.
Delhi: Air Quality Index is at 401 in Anand Vihar, 405 in Alipur and 410 in Wazirpur; all three in ‘severe’ category as per Delhi Pollution Control Committee data.
UN, World Bank urge school openings amid pandemic
- The UN and World Bank pleaded in a new report Wednesday for schools to remain open despite Covid-19 risks, highlighting the damage the pandemic has inflicted on children’s education, especially in poor nations.
- Children in impoverished countries have been deprived of close to four months of schooling since the pandemic began early this year, while pupils in rich nations benefiting from remote learning have lost six weeks, the report said.
- “Prioritising reopening schools and providing much-needed catch-up classes are critical,” said Robert Jenkins, education chief at the UN children’s fund UNICEF.
Delhi Police files FIR against 4 MLAs of Aam Aadmi Party and others
- Delhi Police has filed an FIR against four Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLAs and others in connection with a protest against the privatisation plan for sanitation work.
- AAP leader Durgesh Pathak along with about 1,000-1,500 people had gathered outside the Civic Centre protesting against the privatisation plan for sanitation work.
- They were protesting without any permission. They were also not following the norms of social distancing and some were even not wearing masks, Delhi Police said.
Indian-American business owners call for revitalisation policy
- A group of Indian-American business owners have sought from the campaigns of President Donald Trump and his democratic rival Joe Biden a sound policy for revitalisation of small businesses severely impacted due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Noting that the pandemic has bought them on the verge of bankruptcy, the small business owners rued that the steps being taken by the current administration has not been able to rescue them from this crisis.
- “COVID-19 pandemic has impacted everyone directly or indirectly around the world. Most of the Indian-American small business owners are struggling to pay basic expenses due to little or no income,” Dharmesh Verma, MCIS Multichoice Insurance Services, said.
Indian agency raids home of journalist, activists in Kashmir
- India’s premier investigating agency on Wednesday said it raided 10 locations in Indian-controlled Kashmir, including the offices and residences of a journalist and two prominent activists, triggering concerns of a crackdown on information and a free press in the disputed region.
- The National Investigation Agency said in a statement it searched the premises of Agence France-Presse’s Kashmir correspondent Parvaiz Bukhari, offices of rights activist Khurram Parvez and Parveena Ahanger, and the region’s leading daily Greater Kashmir, along with a non-profit group, and seized “several incriminating documents and electronic devices.“
- The agency said it was investigating “non-profit groups and charitable trusts” that were collecting funds and using them for “carrying out secessionist and separatist activities” in the disputed region.
FBI says extremist threatened Trump, Obama in online posts
- A man charged in an alleged conspiracy to kidnap Michigan’s governor also made threatening online comments about President Donald Trump, former presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton apart from other prominent political figures, an FBI agent said in a federal court filing.
- Barry Croft, a Delaware resident, railed against numerous present and former elected leaders in private Facebook posts, special agent Kristopher Long said.
- Croft is one of six purported members of an extremist paramilitary group accused of scheming to kidnap Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer because of her shutdown orders to control the coronavirus.