The state government under its ‘Mission Begin Again’ plan said that the phase-wise opening of activities in Maharashtra will “remain in force till 30 November, 2020 for containment of COVID- I 9 epidemic in the state and all departments of government of Maharashtra shall strictly implement these guidelines.”
The activities already allowed and permitted from time to time shall be continued and all earlier orders shall be aligned with this order and shall remain in force up to end of November, the state government stated in its fresh order.
The lockdown curbs will be strictly followed in containment zones.
The state government in its order said that it is “satisfied that the state of Maharashtra is threatened with the spread of COVID-19 virus, and therefore to take certain emergency measures to prevent and contain the spread of virus, the Government in exercise of the powers conferred under Section 2 of the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897, read with all other enabling provisions of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, it is expedient to extend the lockdown in the entire State of Maharashtra further till midnight of 30′ November, 2020.”
On Wednesday, the state government proposed to the railway authorities that general public be allowed to travel by Mumbai local trains during non-peak hours, officials said on Wednesday.
The proposal will be forwarded to the Railway Board, said a railway official.
At present only certain categories of persons including essential services staff are allowed to travel by local trains, Mumbai’s lifeline, in view of the coronavirus threat.
Currently the railway authorities are operating 1,410 special services on the Mumbai suburban network, including 10 ladies special trains.
Earlier this month, Maharashtra allowed hotels, food courts, restaurants and bars to restart operations at a capacity not exceeding 50%. However, schools, colleges and other educational and coaching institutions are closed.
Maharashtra continues to be the worst-hit state by the virus with 6,738 new COVID-19 cases, 8,430 recoveries and 91 deaths, according to Wednesday’s state health bulletin. The COVID-19 tally of the state rose to 16,60,766, with 14,86,926 recoveries and 43,554 deaths while the active cases are at 1,29,746.